The Seimological Laboratory belongs to the Department of Geophysics and Geothermics of the National and Kapoditrian University of Athens. It is situated at the Geology Faculty Building in Panepistimioupolis. Its space facilities include offices, laboratories, auditorium and recording instrument rooms. The Laboratory first operated in 1929.
Ever since, its major axes of contribution have been the education of students as well as the monitoring of seismicity of the area of Greece, in cooperation with the Geodynamic Institute of the National Observatory of Athens. Major contributions and progresses were made in the fields of Seismology and Geophysics over the years, which have been equally recognized by the Greek and the international scientific community.
The large number of scientific publications in international and Greek scientific journals, the participation in conferences, the organization of international conferences, seminars and lectures and the Greek and EU research contracts, exhibit the competitive status of the Laboratory, not only on Greek, but also on an international basis.